The Benefits of a Community Garden

I would like to create a list of as many advantages that are created by having a community garden. This could help with lobbying. If you could add anything you can think of to this discussion.

Thanks

Replies to this Topic

social networking and empowerment within localized areas

local trading

A visual for drivers by that this is possible almost anywhere

reducing reliance on over extended transportation systems, chemical saturation (pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers and preservation techniques).

Connecting ppl with land/earth - assists in grounding and returning to the "simple things".

Don't know Andrew, just some thoughts.

Leanne

Hi Andrew,

Via the magic of googling "community garden benefits", I found a link to a University of NSW study that says community gardens reduce crime! That might get over any security fears.

http://www.sustainableillawarra.com.au/pdf/Community-Gardens.pdf

Hello

To add to some great points already put forward...

• appeals to all ages & backgrounds - meeting place for diversity, collective vision & energy
  • people growing plants - plants growing people - watching things grow together
  • space for fun, art & cultural activities
  • Sharing resources & food

It is interesting the PP Council have cancelled the Albert Park Tree Summit due to lack of numbers registering in the area.  I wonder whether this is reflective of the community activity. Perhaps this insight could be used in your discussions Andrew?

Cheers,

Chloe

Hi Chloe,

Have they cancelled next week?  I haven't received that notice.  They asked me to give them my address so they could post me stuff before the meteing!

Cheers,

N

Hi Nicola & Changelings,

Yes, the first Tree Summit at MSAC on Sat 14/11 has unfortunately been cancelled due to lack of registrations. However, this means there are still 2 more Tree Summits to attend! These are on:

Wed 18 Nov 6.30-9.30pm, St Kilda Town Hall (cnr. Brighton Rd & Carlisle St)

Wed 25 Nov 6.30-9.30pm, Port Melbourne Town Hall (333 Bay St)

To register and for venue details, please email rsvp@portphillip.vic.gov.au or call ASSIST on 9209 6777. 

Sorry if they didn't let you know about the first cancellation yet Nicola, I will follow up with the organisers to send you the material. I think it might be similar to the Tree Summit Survey available here, so if anyone can't go, direct them here.

http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/current_consultations.htm#TREES_AND_NATURE_STRIPS

Hi Julian,

Thanks for this.  Yes, I'm registered for the 18th - so obviously its still on that's why they haven't call me.  I'm going.

Best,

Nicola

Great! I just received my Tree Summit Discussion Guide today - looking forward to it next week Laughing

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Albert Park Lake Community Garden