Possible sites????

I have downloaded some pictures of possible sites for our community garden. You can find them in the Phot Galleries.

The first site is facing Albert Rd at the end of the golf course between MacRobertsons Girls High and Lakeside Drive. The area would be triangular with each side being approx 60 metres. There is power and water on the site. From the discussions I have had so far about this site it would optimistically take 3 years of negotiating to get this opeational (if we got a final nod of approval).

The second site is the Middle Park Bowling Club. As yet I haven't had discussions with them but I would imagine that they would be only to willing to have new members that will maintain a neglected corner of there alotment. This would be a lot easier poject with no need to become incorporated and get insurance etc...

What are your thoughts???

Edited Wed, Dec 2, 2009 7:04 PM

Replies to this Topic

Hi Andrew,

Great to see you running the last leg of the Run for a Safe Climate on Sunday.

Both sites look like they would be improved by a community garden.

One of the best things about successful community gardens is their accessibility to the users to manage them. I guess the difference in sites is only a 1.5 km walk or ride around the Lake, but it might attract a very different local audience.

The issues with management of the site might make the choice easier, as you say.

Julian

Hi Andrew

I'd prefer the Middle Park end, because its closer to me.  It's easy for people to catch a tram to etc.

I walked around the lake the other day and I wonder if the site you prefer is too dark?

Have you thought about pulling together some drawings of what you imagine this garden will look like?   Might help with negotiations.  Do you need help with anything?

Nicola

Hi Andrew,

A vegetable patch needs at least five hours of direct sunlight and easy access to water. A communal vegetable garden will also need easy access (preferable public transport) by its members. I like the bowling club location for the reasons mentioned above.

What kind of help do you need at this moment in time to get this moving quickly?

Cheers and CYA on Monday - Zainil 

Yep - I agree Middle Park sounds good.

Next PPUFFN (Port Phillip Urban Fresh Food Network) meeting Feb 27th EcoCentre....

Elaine

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Albert Park Lake Community Garden